Piccadilly Line
 

ALDWYCH branch line (Part 3)

(1907-1994)

 

The branch line between Holborn and Aldwych was originally a double tracked line, with two platforms at either end.
It was reduced to single line running in 1917, due to the low volume of traffic, and closed completely in 1994.

 

 

The station location is in the centre of this map. Also shown is the route of the line leading to it.
The close proximity to Temple station is obvious here.

 


 

Stairs leading up from the platform (that remained in use). There are two passageways at the top of the stairs: one leads off to the left toward the other platform, and the other one leads straight on toward the lifts.

(photo: Sep 2010)

 

 

 

View the other way, looking back down toward the platform.

Photo by Gary. ©2011

 

 

 

Part of the passageway network that leads to the eastern platform.

Photo by Gary. ©2011

 

 

 

The other Aldwych platform - used as a development testing ground for future station designs. This view from 1980 or so is looking north - the tunnel mouth can be clearly seen.

 

 

 

Southerly view looking very clean in 2011.

Photo by Gary. ©2011

 

 

 

 

South facing view.

(photo: c. 1980)

 

 

 


This photo was taken from a similar viewpoint as that above but post-dates it by a quarter of a century or so.

Photo: Philip Lindhurst. © 2007

 

 

 

2011 view. The wall seen at the end of the platform is a false wall. The tunnel continues beyond it...

Photo by Gary. ©2011

 

 

 

...the end of the tunnel and a set of what seem to be hopelessly ineffective buffers.

 

 

 

The station was originally called Strand but was changed to Aldwych when Charing Cross was renamed Strand on what later became the Northern Line.

The original name of Strand was still visible at this time in the tiling of the long-disused platform.

(photo: c.1980)


 

Continues on next page...



 

Aldwych station pt.4 (Piccadilly Line)

 

 

Photos taken between 1977 and 1981, except where stated.