An amalgamation of two lines, the Tottenham & Hampstead Junction Railway and the Tottenham & Forest Gate Railway, its history has been a difficult one and for a while, its continued passenger existence was far from guaranteed. Current transport policy is favourable toward this and London's
other radial lines and some improvements to the line have seen a surprising rise in the number of passengers (surprising that is to the politicians, who never seem to comprehend the correlation between good service and high passenger numbers).

Originally running from Kentish Town, its western terminus is now Gospel Oak station, where it interchanges with the North London Line. The eastern terminus is Barking. Despite crossing the routes of the Northern, Piccadilly and Central tube lines, and mainlines from Kings Cross and Liverpool Street, direct connection is only provided with the Victoria line at Blackhorse Road.

Full details about the line are here: www.barking-gospeloak.org.uk




...continued from previous page.




(still open)

The original Crouch Hill station building, still open when this photo was taken in the late 1970s/early 1980s.
The building is still there today but it is owned privately.




The platforms looking east in the late 1970s/early 1980s. The brick waiting rooms have since been replaced by steel/glass ones, CCTV has been added and there have been some other minor updates.



(still open)

Harringay Green Lanes had enormously long platforms to cope with traffic for the nearby Harringay Stadium. They are seen here in 2002 shortly before being truncated (due to subsidence).




The booking office. In recent years it has been food premises of various unsuccessful incarnations but there are efforts afoot to return it to railway use.

(photo: Jun 2012)



(1882 - 1942)

The station building still standing in July 2006. It was demolished in September 2012.




The station building in 2011, a year before its demolition.

Photo by Philip Lindhurst. ©2012




The station building, looking nothing like a station building, in 2011, a year before its demolition.

Photo by Philip Lindhurst. ©2012




All gone. The road speed camera is still there; useful for comparison with the photos above.

Photo by Philip Lindhurst. ©2013




The cleared site.

Photo by Philip Lindhurst. ©2013




Westward view of the westbound track and platform area. The road visible on the left hand side of the photo is Seven Sisters Road, which runs all the way from Seven Sisters station to Holloway Road.

(photo: July 2006)



(still open)

The original ticket office on the western side of the High Road. Current access is from the eastern side of the road.

(photo: Sep 2007)




(1894 - 1981)

The original station building and platforms were on the east side of Blackhorse Road but were belatedly replaced on the west side for easier
interchange with the Victoria line.

The location of the original station building at Blackhorse Road.

(photo: Oct 2006)




East view of the platform area. This photo was taken from the bridge on Blackhorse Road - the new platforms are on the other side of the bridge.

(photo: Oct 2006)




Westward view of the westbound track and the mound of earth that represents all that is left of the original platforms at Blackhorse Road.

(photo: Jul 2006)


North London Railway: Camden Road - Victoria Park