GREENWICH PARK - NUNHEAD

(1871 - 1917)

The LCD opened this line in 1871 with stations at Nunhead, Brockley Lane, Lewisham Road, and Blackheath Hill.
Greenwich Park wasn't actually reached until 1888.

Declining passenger numbers caused its closure in 1917 although the section from Nunhead to a
point just east of Lewisham Road station was reopened to provide the SE with an alternative route into
central London. To facilitate that, a connection was made with the SE railway north of
their station at Lewisham.

For a 1930s map still showing the line and its stations (Lewisham Road station is visible but not named), click here (about 500+Kb in size).

 


 

 

Lewisham Road station remains in Jan 2003.
The station is by the junction of Loampit Hill and Tyrwhitt Road (i.e. nowhere near Lewisham Road itself).

(Jan 2003)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Looking east.

(Jan 2003)

 

 

 

Eastwards looking view of Lewisham Road station site. The line veers off to the right to join the SE line down to Lewisham and beyond. The original line carried straight on, passing over the SE line just south of St.John's station.

(June 2006)

 

 

 

The station building surviving as a wonderfully odd furniture and other household items shop.

(June 2006)

For more info: www.disused-stations.org.uk

 

 

 

 

 

 

It would have been a bit foolish to have gone looking for tangible remains of a line that had closed 86 years previously. Astonishingly though, at the time of this visit, there were two small sections of embankment remaining where the line crossed over Brookmill Road, although this photo doesn't provide too clear a view.

(Jan 2003)

 

 

 

 

 

 

One of the rare remnants: a retaining wall just north of the Blackheath Hill station site. This railway is the complete antithesis of a railway like the Northern Heights, which is still clearly a disused railway with most of its track bed and some of its platforms and station buildings still intact. This line provides a very different experience in that astute detective work is needed to find any of it at all.

(Jan 2003)

 

 

 

 

 

 

There are so few clues to indicate the existence of the line at street level, that it was even difficult to follow its path with a print out of the 1898 map of its route. One of the subtle pointers is the gaps in the rows of old houses, now filled with more modern developments. Or, as in this case, a railway line filled in and replaced by a line of allotments...

 (Jan 2003)

 

 

 

 

 

 

...or a line of cars.

 (Jan 2003)

 

 

 

 

 

 

The abutment seen at the far end of the car park in the photo above. The wall itself shows evidence of rebuilding to allow the provision of a gate in the centre, yet some of the original bricks still survive.

 (Jan 2003)

 

 

 

 

 

 

For what it's worth: the site of the Greenwich Park terminus (in more of a prime location than the existing Greenwich station). The station building was at the front end of the platform area - the site is now occupied by an Ibis Hotel.

(Jan 2003)

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Ibis Hotel on the site of the original station building.

(Apr 2006)

 


 

West London Line