Central Line
 

LOUGHTON

(1st station: 1856 - 1865)
(2nd station: 1865 - 1940)
(3rd station: 1940 - present)

 

The first Loughton station was built as a terminus for the Eastern Counties Railway line from London. It was replaced when the line was extended to Epping and Ongar on a new alignment, serving until the line was modernised in preparation for London Transport's Central Line taking over the line in 1948.

 



Lopping Hall, built on the site of the first station.

(Apr 2007)

 

 

 

 


Lopping Hall on the right on the High Road.

(Apr 2007)

 

 

 

 


The Station Road side of Lopping Hall. The tracks ran along the right hand side of the road where the houses are now, in a direction away from the photographer. A map of the area with Lopping Hall arrowed can be viewed here.

(Apr 2007)

 

 

 

 


View from the opposite direction looking toward Lopping Hall and the terminus area.

(Apr 2007)

 

 

 

 


Lopping Hall is visible behind the tree. This view is looking northward on the approximate route of the line.

(Apr 2007)

 

 

 

 


The Great Eastern extension to Epping runs from left to right across the photo, on the barely visible viaduct in the distance (Epping direction is to the left), while the original tracks would have run in a straight line from the photographer's position, slicing through the wing mirror/engine area of the silver car in the foreground, to the right of the lampost behind the car but to the left of the wooden fence and line of trees on the right. The station building for the existing station can be seen on the left (with the arched windows).

(Mar 2006)

 

 

 

 


Heading toward the existing Central line tracks.

(Mar 2006)

 

 

 

 


Much closer to the existing tracks (they are on the left of the old signal box on the left).
It is uncertain whether the 'Beware Pedestrians Crossing' signs are designed to protect cars or people!

(Mar 2006)

 

 

 

 


Looking back at the track route.

(Mar 2006)

 

 

 

 


The Central line tracks are just beyond the metal gates. The overhead cable run/gantry passes over its tracks.

(Mar 2006)

 

 

 

 


Looking south/westward toward the location of the second Loughton station from the southbound platform of the existing (third) one. The signal box that served it can be seen behind the green signal.

The line here curves away from the original route, the junction of which was in the distance, with the original line's course being to the right of the photo (in an upsidedown V shape).

(Mar 2006)

 

 



Wood Lane (Central Line)