(1883 - 1931)

Built between the capital Valletta and the old capital Mdina, the single track, narrow gauge line was beset with problems from the beginning, culminating in its closure in 1931.
(Curiously, increasing traffic congestion in Malta may again make the introduction of a train or tram service a viable proposition.)

Apart from a long tunnel at the Valletta end and a tunnel built for an extension at the Mdina end, the line was overground.


The southern terminus of the line is here at Mdina (on the right hand side, out of shot).
The original terminus, Notabile, was based on the other side of the town. The new extension tunnelled under the town to a new terminus called Museum Station. The line continued for a short distance over the Gheriexam Viaduct shown here, to serve the barracks at Mtarfa (left).






Now used for motor vehicles, this is the view on top of the Gheriexam Viaduct looking toward its terminus from the Mtarfi Barracks area.






The station building at the Museum Terminus, renovated in the 1980s as a restaurant.
Mtarfi is to the left and Mdina and the line to Valletta on the right.






Museum station in its reincarnated state.




Museum station. - the interior.






Museum station.
Celebrating its original purpose with a model of one of the engines that used to run the line.




Museum station - the interior.






Museum station.
This is the platform area looking toward Valletta.






Museum station.
The track area looking toward Valletta. The photo above was taken inside where the nearest open door is.






View from Mdina of the Museum station area.
Looking in the direction of Mtarfi, the barracks are visible dominating the skyline.
Museum station is in the middle of the photo. The track bed leading to the tunnel under Mdina would have run on the nearside and parallel to the buildings on the right of the photo.






View from Museum station of the track bed leading to the tunnel under Mdina.






The tunnel portal. Three or four courses above the tunnel is a small stone plaque bearing the 1900 date of this
extension to the line, though it is largely covered by branches in this photo.






Apparently the tunnel was used for the cultivation of mushrooms, although it looks rather derelict here.