STAINES WEST - WEST DRAYTON

 


 

Single line 6 miles

Opened 9.8.1884 West Drayton - Colnbrook; 2.11.1885 Colnbrook - Staines West.
Closed to passengers - 29.3.1965
Closed to goods - 27.1.1981 Colnbrook - Staines West New Spur Jn.


Stations
- West Drayton 2nd (opened 1884) r/n 1895 West Drayton & Yiewesley r/n 1974 West Drayton; West Drayton 1st (opened 1838, closed 1884)
-
Colnbrook Estate Halt (opened 1961, closed 1965)
-
Colnbrook (opened 1954)
-
Poyle Estate Halt (opened 1954)
-
Poyle Halt for Stanwell Moor (opened 1927)
- Runnymede Range Halt (opened 1887) r/n 1934 Runymede Halt r/n 1935 Yeoveny Halt (closed 1962)
- Staines r/n 1949
Staines West.

Motive Power Depots - Staines one-track sub-shed to Southall 81C (closed 1952)


History
The town of Staines, 19 miles SW of central London, was in Middlesex until 1974 but is now in Surrey close to the Gtr London boundary. Independently promoted the Staines & West Drayton Railway (S&WDR) it reached Staines in 1885 and was absorbed by the GWR in 1900. The original plans had envisaged linking it into the Windsor lines on Staines Moor but the L&SWR would not agree so it was carried over its lines to terminate alongside Pound Mill in Moor Lane. Because finances were tight the struggling S&WDR bought a mill owner's house adjacent to the site and altered it to serve as a station. In 1964 the Western Region provided 14 trains on weekdays the journey with four stops taking 17 mins; the following year the service was withdrawn.

After closure to passengers the goods yard at Staines West was demolished and a rail accessed oil storage depot built in its place. When the line was severed by the building of the M25 in 1981, a new connection with the Southern Region line was made to serve the oil depot but ten years later it closed. The three miles between West Drayton and Colnbrook remain open as a means of getting stone, steel and construction materials to Heathrow Airport for the terminal 5 project due for completion in 2008.


Route - when open
The bay platform at the west end of West Drayton station (GR061801) was used by both Uxbridge and Staines branch trains with both branches diverging NW from the Paddington - Reading line immediately west of the station. The two branches then parted company after a short distance with this line turning south to pass under the main line and bridge the River Colne. From there it headed SW passing under the later M4, the A4 at Colnbrook Estate Halt and at Colnbrook over Bath Road by means of a level crossing. Poyle for Stanwell Moor Halt was located on the south side of the Horton Road overbridge and for the next two miles it ran south alongside the Wraysbury River. It then climbed away from Yeoveney, bridged the L&SW Windsor branch, passed under the Staines Bypass (A30) and ended at Staines West station (GR032718) near the junction of Wraysbury Road and Moor Lane.


Route - today
The operational part of the branch currently ends at the site of Colnbrook station (GR036767) in Bath Road and since April 2004 rails across the Bath Road have disappeared under a thick layer of tar. From there it is walkable south to Horton Road where, in 2003, there was a work site for an M25 spur. The trackbed continues on the opposite side of Horton Road and ends abruptly at the M25. For 320 yards, the trackbed is lost under the M25 but a pedestrian underpass under J14 gives access to a tarmac bridleway that the route of the line joins. The trackbed stops at the dismantled bridge over the existing LSWR line. A pedestrian crossing over the line slightly further west leads to Moor Lane which leads to Staines West station. Overgrown tracks that served the oil depot at Staines are still in place.


Relics
-
West Drayton station (2nd) - still open (Paddington - Reading line)
- West Drayton station (1st) - demolished: no trace
-
Colnbrook Estate Halt - no trace
-
Colnbrook platforms and main station buildings removed but S.M.s house alongside the level crossing survives
-
Poyle Estate Halt - no trace
-
Poyle Halt for Stanwell Moor - built over by J14 of M25
- Yeoveney - Wooden entrance gate and concrete supports remain.
-
Staines West station building intact listed grade ll, a section of platform track and buffer stop remain, platform area now a car park.

Bridges - all bridges in place West Drayton - Colnbrook
bridge over stream south of Colnbrook station in place
bridge over stream north of Horton Road in place but heavily overgrown
Lintel's bridge carrying Horton Road at Poyle Halt for Stanwell Moor demolished and built over by J14 of M25
bridge over Windsor Branch at Staines - bridge removed but both abutments remain
brick-arched bridge over Wraysbury River in Staines demolished
underpass under A30 in Staines survives with impenetrable undergrowth on north side
cattle bridge over line south of A30 in place.
Loco sheds - Staines (GR033720) on west side of line at north end of Staines West station demolished 1955, site now a timber yard.

(The above text courtesy of Ralph Rawlinson   ©2005.)



 

South of Junction 14 on the M25 the trackbed can be accessed again and leads northwards to Horton Road. This bridge over the Wraysbury River is north of the M25 junction.

(photo: Aug 2006)

 

 

 

Southward view of the above bridge.

(photo: Aug 2006)

 

 

 

Showing how overgrown old trackbeds can become; this is actually one of the more passable sections!

This is approximately where Poyle Estate Halt was located.

(photo: Aug 2006)

 

 

 

Another bridge further north, in the process of decaying.

(photo: Aug 2006)

 

 

 

 

 

 

If following the route northwards on foot, you will eventually emerge here, on Bath Road. The line is fenced off here but escape from it seems possible on the left just before reaching this point.

When this photo was taken, the level crossing warning sign was no longer in use but had been cheekily customised by the enterprising car dealers who occupied the land adjacent to the railway line. The car dealers are no longer there but the level crossing sign remained, as of Aug 2015, as seen on this Google StreetView.

(photo: Dec 2002)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Turning 90° right, from the photo above, there is the station site at Colnbrook, looking north from Bath Road. The station masters house is on the left. The platforms and main station building have obviously been removed but from here to West Drayton the line is still used for industrial traffic. The brick structure blocking the route of the left hand track into the road, is almost certainly the base of the signal box that used to stand there.

The tracks embedded in the road have since been buried under a layer of tarmac.

(photo: Dec 2002)

 

 

 

 

 

 

(photo: Dec 2002)

 

 

 

Colnbrook station site. In the years between this and the above photos, it has lost the track that used to pass over Bath Road.

(photo: Mar 2015)

 

 

 

Zooming into the photo above this one, a small section of the platform and ramp still remains.

(photo: Mar 2015)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Further north (toward West Drayton) and the section that remains open for freight traffic. This is the view from the Colnbrook Bypass, where the now demolished Colnbrook Estate Halt was situated.

(photo: Dec 2002)

 

 

 


Approaching the bridge over Fray's River.

(photo: 2006)

 

 

 

 

 

 

The bridge over Fray's River carrying the line toward West Drayton station. The photo was taken from the area where the Uxbridge Vine St line branched off and ran next to the river (see next page for that line and for West Drayton pics). This view is looking south.

(photo: Mar 2005)

 

 

 

The level crossing on the old coal depot approach road, just off Tavistock Road. This view is looking west - the main line from Paddington runs to the left of the road. The branch line here split just slightly further on: the line to Uxbridge Vine Street carried on in a northerly direction, the Staines branch looped back toward, and underneath, the Paddington main line on its southerly journey to Staines.

The area enclosed between the road and the track is now the site of aggregates distribution and container storage. If Crossrail ever gets built, the site will be utilised as a train stabling facility.

(photo: 2006)

 

 

 

Looking eastward toward West Drayton station. This level crossing is now manned around the clock to prevent pedestrian access to the main line to Paddington (100 yards from the photographer's position). Apparently the local kids were playing 'chicken' with the trains on the main line and the Heath & Safety Executive threatened to close and fence off the access road if steps weren't taken to prevent their access to the line.

(photo: 2006)


 


 

West Drayton - Uxbridge Vine Street.

 

 







-----------------------------426023312463325686339100580 Content-Disposition: form-data; name="file"; filename="Palace_Gates_line.html" Content-Type: text/html Seven Sisters - Palace Gates


PALACE GATES - SEVEN SISTERS

 

Opened 1.1.1878 Seven Sisters - Noel Park & Wood Green; 7.10.1878 Noel Park & Wood Green - Palace Gates.
Closed to passengers) 7.1.1963
Closed to goods 28.12.1964


Stations
- Seven Sisters (opened 1872)
- West Green
- Green Lanes r/n 1884 Green Lanes & Noel Park r/n 1902 Noel Park & Wood Green
- Palace Gates.

Motive Power Depots Palace Gates two-track sub-shed too Stratford 30A (closed 1954)


History
The Muswell Railway's (GNR) branch and the Alexandra Palace itself opened on the same day in May 1873. The Great Eastern's line took another five years and only reached the palace gates, almost a mile from the sports and entertainment complex. Initially the service ran to Liverpool Street but nine years later this was supplemented by trains to North Woolwich. In 1910 there was a frequent service to/from Liverpool Street and eleven trains between Palace Gates and North Woolwich, covering 12_ miles in 45 mins. By 1930, however, North Woolwich was down to three, with two extra on Saturdays. Liverpool Street trains were withdrawn in 1947 but the situation to North Woowich improved dramatically after nationalisation with thirteen trains on weekdays; these were usually hauled by Class L1 2-6-4Ts. By 1963 the passenger service had been withdrawn and the line closed to all traffic at the end of 1964.

Route - when open
It diverged from the Liverpool Street - Enfield Town line at Seven Sisters station (GR337889) and turned west as it gradually dropped down passing under West Green Road and Belmont Road each side of West Green station. It then climbed up to Noel Park & Wood Green where it bridged High Road and Station Road then climbed steeply over Park Avenue to reach Palace Gates station (GR303906) in Dorset Road.
During World War ll a link was provided between Palace Gates and the ex-GNR Hertford Loop Line at Bowes Park. It was provided mainly for freight but it was also used by passenger trains from July 1944.

Route - today
Most of the line has been built over but the first half mile can easily be followed - Brunel Walk, Gresley Close and Station Crescent pointing the way. In Braemar Road there is now a recreation ground where the end of the embankment can be seen but the grassy cutting leading to Avenue Road is inaccessible. The cutting where West Green station was located has been infilled and built on whilst flats in Ivatt Way and allotments beyond occupy the alignment north of Belmont Road. A paved area goes under Westbury Avenue but more flats in The Sandlings have been built on the line almost to the Wood Green Shopping Centre - the site of Noel Park & Wood Green station. A semi-inaccessible embankment runs from Station Road to Park Avenue where steps lead up to a low embankment which runs to a block of flats. Flats then occupy the site of Palace Gates station; to the north the track is still in situ and operational - part of Bounds Green Depot.

Relics
Stations

- Seven Sisters still open (Liverpool Street - Enfield Town/Hertford East service)
- West Green demolished - a school and sports centre occupies the site
- Noel Park & Wood Green demolished - site built over by Wood Green Shopping Centre
- Palace Gates largely demolished - two-thirds of the site occupied by a modern housing estate, north-western third platform edges could be seen behind Bounds Green carriage siding but were removed in 1999.

Bridges - underbridge at Seven Sisters in place;
bridge carrying Cornwall Road in place but bricked up;
bridge carrying West Green Road (A504), blue brick parapet survives;
twin-arched brick brIdge carrying Belmont Road in place;
bridge carrying Westbury Avenue (A1080) in place but rebuilt in 1990s;
girder bridge over High Road (A105) removed in 1960s
bridge carrying Station Road missing;
bridge carrying Park Avenue abutments survive;
Loco sheds - Palace Gates (GR302909) on east side of line at north end of station, demolished 1971 - site now occupied by Bounds Green HST depot.

 


For a map of the route, click here.

 

 


 

It's hard to see what the usefulness of this line was towards the end: Palace Gates was the furthest station from Alexandra Palace of the three with some reference to it in their names (even though one had already been closed by the time this line was earmarked for closure), the Piccadilly Line extension to Turnpike Lane and Wood Green claimed much of its traffic and toward the end of its operating life, only a rush hour service was provided. The other end of its service - North Woolwich - had seen most of its Thames docks lose their trade to new larger docks further east along the river.

 

 

 

View of the line as it veers off from the existing Seven Sisters overground station in a North-Easterly direction (left hand side of photo).

(Apr 2001)

 

 

 

 

 

 

A closer view of the truncated spur at Seven Sisters. For a page showing the platform disused but still in situ, click here.

(Apr 2001)

 

 

 


Under the bridge carrying Avenue Road. Facing east, back toward Seven Sisters.

(Jan 2007)

Photo: Philip Lindhurst. © 2007

 

 

 


Similar view from the one above but showing the bridge and its repairs.

(Jan 2007)

Photo: Philip Lindhurst. © 2007

 

 

 

 

 


The bricked up remains of the bridge carrying Cornwall Road. The enclosed space is now used as a storage facility.

(Jan 2007)

Photo: Philip Lindhurst. © 2007

 

 

 

 

 

 

The remains of the coal office part of the station building at West Green Road, March 2001 (the passenger part was to the right of this).

Chris Hall informed that it was burnt out in June 2001. It was still there, albeit boarded up, in May 2002, but by August 2003 it had been demolished and replaced by a red-brick business site. Chris also made this interesting comment: "...although I'm sure the line could not have made much revenue because of its round about route, it - along with the Ally Pally branch - could have become light rail or tram routes had they survived long enough."

The track bed used to run under the road in the direction that the camera is facing but slightly to the right.

For a site showing the platform area before being levelled, click here.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Opposite the West Green Road station site is this wall. The track ran from left to right under the road, at an angle to the parapet - the house seen to the right of the photo is built on the in-filled line of the railway.

(July 2007)

Photo: Philip Lindhurst. © 2007

 

 

 


Heading toward the Palace Gates direction, this is the bridge over Belmont Road.

(Jan 2007)

Photo: Philip Lindhurst. © 2007

 

 

 


View under Belmont Road, with evidence of bridge repair work, facing north-west at the housing estate listed on maps now as Ivatt Way.

(Jan 2007)

Photo: Philip Lindhurst. © 2007

 

 

 

 

 

 

The bridge at Belmont Road viewed from its northern end.

 

 

 

 

 

 

View eastwards from Westbury Avenue. Who would ever randomly pass this place now, not knowing of its history, and associate it with that of being an old railway?

(Feb 2004)

 

 

 

 

 

Eastward view of the bridge over Westbury Avenue (left) in the early 1980s, before the bridge reconstruction. Move your cursor over the image to see that same view in Feb 2004.

The opposite view, i.e. westward, from the position of the camera, would just show an ugly council estate built on the route of the line.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Noel Park station sign.

As of Oct 2005, this was on display in the marvellous North Woolwich Station Museum.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Park Avenue, N22, a stone's throw from the old terminus at Palace Gates. The bridge over the road has obviously gone but the dip that the road still takes under the missing bridge makes it abundantly clear that a railway used to cross over it (not to mention the still extant bridge abutments).

The section of track bed on the other side of the bridge leads to Station Road in Wood Green and is the only reasonable stretch of trackbed identifiable as such still remaining. It is perhaps surprising that it hasn't been developed into housing thus far.

(Mar 2003)

 

 

 

 

 

 

An original concrete post and an old rail that was missed by the scrap metal merchants.

(Mar 2003)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Looking towards the Wood Green direction in the early 1980s from the south-eastern tip of the western platform.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Palace Gates station looking north-west. A housing development stands on the south-eastern two-thirds of the platform area now - the photograph was taken from about the place where the housing developent is built across the line.


For further photos of this station: www.disused-stations.org.uk

 

 

 

 

 

 

The truncated north-western end of Palace Gates platform area (looking south at the housing development built on its site), still in use as a siding for the adjacent Bounds Green Depot. There are no platform remains as such, only the banked up soil and stone mix seen here. The platforms continued in a north-western direction up to a point adjacent to Cornwall Avenue.

(Feb 2005)

 

 

 

 

 

 

The north end of Palace Gates platform site looking north at the tracks leading up to the GNER lines. Bounds Green depot is on the left.

(Feb 2005)

 


 

 


 

LNWR

 

 

Photos taken between 1977 and 1981, except where stated.







-----------------------------426023312463325686339100580 Content-Disposition: form-data; name="file"; filename="Broad_Street_line_2.html" Content-Type: text/html Broad Street - Dalston BR


BROAD STREET - DALSTON

 

Opened to passengers 1.11.1865
Opened to goods ?.5.1868
Closed 30.6.1986.

Stations
- Dalston Junction
- Haggerston (opened 1867, closed 1940)
- Shoreditch (closed 1940)
- Broad Street.

History
Incorporpated in 1846 the nominally independent East & West India Docks & Birmingham Junction Railway was heavily backed by the LNWR. In 1853 it changed its name to the North London Railway (NLR) and although managed by the LNWR from 1909 remained independent until the grouping. Its original line ran from Camden Town to Poplar but in 1865 it opened a branch directly into the city off its main line at Dalston Junction. Traffic handled by the new Broad Street station grew at a phenomenal rate and the line was quadrupled by 1874; eventually the terminus had nine platforms. The last train to use the line was the 18.36 Broad Street - Watford Junction on Friday 27 June 1986.
The East London Line extension northward from Shoreditch, opened in 2010, uses much of the alignment.

Route - when originally open
It diverged from the Camden Town to Poplar line at Dalston Western Junction (GR333850) and curved south to Dalston Junction where the line fron Dalston Eastern Junction trailed in from the east, thus forming a triangular junction. From Dalston Junction station (which had platforms on both curves) the line headed south alongside Kingsland Road, passing Haggerston station and bridging the Regent's Canal. One mile from Dalston Junction it turned SW to bridge Kingsland Road and Old Street the location of Shoreditch station, then continued south bridging Great Eastern Street on the approach to Broad Street station (GR331817) with lines into Liverpool Street station on the east side but at a lower level.

Route - today
The viaduct south from Dalston Junction is intact and has been adapted for use by the East London Line extension. The viaduct ends at New Inn Yard where the East London Line route curves away eastward. There are also two short stubs on either side of Great Eastern Street; the southern one reaches only as far as Bowl Court. From Bowl Court to Primrose Street there are new office developments. The route south of Primrose Street as far as, and including, Broad Street station is covered by the Broadgate development. Most of the Dalston East Curve is now a long car park.

Relics
-
Dalston Junction station. Completely demolished and rebuilt for the East London Line extension
- Haggerston station. The original central platform was demolished in the early 1970s but the southbound one remains intact. The new East London line station at Haggerston was built on the north side of Lee Street; the original was on the south side of it.
- Shoreditch station platforms have been demolished. The station building survives below at street level
- Broad Street demolished - site built over by the Broadgate Office complex.

Bridges - all bridges on the proposed ELL route have been replaced;
bridges over Holywell Lane, Great Eastern Street, Plough Yard, Worship St, Primrose St, are missing;
the viaduct carrying the line is intact between Middleton Road and New Inn Yard. There are small sections remaining between Holywell Lane and Great Eastern St, and between Great Eastern St and Plough Yard.
Tunnels - on west curve under Kingsland High Street 88yds, will be reopened for ELL extension;
on east curve under Dalston Lane 58yds condition unknown.




 

 

 

Press Refresh or Load Image if the image doesn't appear

 

The old North London line's Shoreditch station building in 1990, on the corner of Old Street and Kingsland Road (not to be confused with the other Shoreditch station north of Whitechapel on the original East London line route). It was closed in 1940.

 

 

 

Press Refresh or Load Image if the image doesn't appear
An exit from the platforms, situated (at street level) underneath and between the platform areas.

(photo: 2007)

 

 

 

The exit was opened briefly as a bar to watch the football World Cup in. Once inside, there are two passageways on the left and right. This view is the centre view and shows a small section of blocked off passageway that still retains what would appear to be its original tiles.

(photo: Jun 2014)

 

 

 

 

 

Press Refresh or Load Image if the image doesn't appear

 

Inside the station building (1990) with the ticket office still clearly visible. The staircase visible to the left of the photo is seen in the photo below.

The building, as of Nov 2006, was in use as a bar, perhaps unsurprisingly called The Old Shoreditch Station. Fancyapint.com gave it a '3 pint' rating! Their specific webpage for it is here.

 

 

 

Press Refresh or Load Image if the image doesn't appear
The 'people' visible at the top of the stairs are fake 'ghosts'.

(photo: 2007)

 

 

 

Press Refresh or Load Image if the image doesn't appear
The station building in its present incarnation, the aforementioned The Old Shoreditch Station bar.

(photo: 2007)

 

 

 

 

 

Press Refresh or Load Image if the image doesn't appear

 

Shoreditch station looking north. The platforms here were removed (probably in 2005) as part of the works for the East London Line extension.

The layout of the old station is clear here however, with two lines passing on the left of the island platform and two passing on the right, with an additional platform for the far right track.The far left track didn't have had a platform at all. Notice that the platforms have been covered with asphalt. The section of the platform seen here still open to the elements is on the bridge over Old Street.

(photo: 2001)

 

 

 

 

 

Press Refresh or Load Image if the image doesn't appear

 

Shoreditch station looking north at the two tracks on the eastern side of the station.

The East London Line extension has a new station at Shoreditch High Street intended to replace its own Shoreditch station.
The new station is also sufficiently close to the NLR Shoreditch station shown here, to make its reopening not viable.
Curiously then, the East London line now has two abandoned Shoreditch stations on its route!

(photo: 2001)

 

 

 

The meagre trackside remains still in existence after the opening of the East London line extension.

(photo: 2010)

 

 

 

 

 

Press Refresh or Load Image if the image doesn't appear

 

Shoreditch station looking south at the two tracks on the eastern side of the station.

(photo: 2001)

 

 

 

 

 

Press Refresh or Load Image if the image doesn't appear

 

Again looking south at the two tracks on the eastern side of the station (the perspective all but hides the space for the two tracks to the right of the photo).

(photo: 2001)

 

 

 

 

 

Press Refresh or Load Image if the image doesn't appear

 

The northern end of the Shoreditch island platform with the bridge over Kingsland Road up ahead. The bush on the right of the photo provides an index point with the photos above.

(photo: 2001)


 

For further photos of Shoreditch station, see www.disused-stations.org.uk

 

Film footage of a cab ride from Dalston Junction to Broad Street is viewable on YouTube.

 


 

 

Part 3.

 

 







-----------------------------426023312463325686339100580 Content-Disposition: form-data; name="comment" -----------------------------426023312463325686339100580 Content-Disposition: form-data; name="charset" UTF-8 -----------------------------426023312463325686339100580 Content-Disposition: form-data; name="hx_lang" en -----------------------------426023312463325686339100580 Content-Disposition: form-data; name="ruk" 1e046e94-3f96-47e8-b4ba-tab656513