The original southern terminus of the City & South
London Railway, the line was extended southwards in 1900 to Clapham
The modernisation of the line in 1923 saw the platforms resited
to the south, the former site being used for a crossover point.
The white tiles of the original station are still visible from
a passing train.
The crossover just north of the existing Stockwell
station is the site of the original island platform 1890 Stockwell
opened as the southern terminus of the City & South London
Railway. Curious that both the original terminii should have
been re-sited (King William Street being the northern terminus).
Moorgate (Northern City Line)