NUNHEAD - GREENWICH PARK

(1871 - 1917)

The LCD opened this line in 1871 with stations at Nunhead, Brockley Lane, Lewisham Road, and Blackheath Hill.
Greenwich Park wasn't actually reached until 1888.

Declining passenger numbers caused its closure in 1917 although the section from Nunhead to a point just east of Lewisham Road station was reopened to provide the SE with an alternative route into central London. To facilitate that, a connection was made with the SE railway north of their station at Lewisham.

For a 1930s map still showing the line and its stations (Lewisham Road station is visible but not named), click here.

The route of the railway is very difficult to pick out on modern maps, however the National Library of Scotland have provided an excellent facility for comparing old maps with modern maps (and including an aerial view). Click here for the railway detailed below, starting at Lewisham Road station.

 


 

 

 

There are so few clues to indicate the existence of the line at street level but one of the subtle pointers are the gaps in the rows of old houses, now filled with more modern developments. Or, as in this case, the railway cutting was filled in and replaced by a line of allotments.
Looking north-west from Prior Street.

 (photo: Jan 2003)

 

 

 

 

 

Virtually identical view of the Prior Street allotments as above but showing the railway wall on the left.

(photo: Aug 2013)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Circus Street looking back toward the Blackheath/Lewisham direction. The building directly in front comprises of two houses that on first inspection look as if they were built at the same time as the houses on the rest of the street. However, they are much newer and were built on the route of the filled-in line. The line used to pass underneath the street.

(photo: Aug 2013)

 

 

 

 

 

Facing the other way at an original railway wall on Circus Street. The wall shows evidence of rebuilding to allow for the provision of a gate in the centre, yet some of the original bricks still survive.

(photo: Aug 2013)

 

 

 

 

 

The same wall in May 2022, still in situ. Works are in progress for the new residential buildings approved for the site. The plans for the new buildings show a similar wall in place but it is most likely to be a new wall, given that this old one is 'leaning over' a little.

 

 

 

 

 

Looking over the wall reveals a further in-filled part of the line. This small section continues up to Royal Hill. Part of the original retaining wall can still be seen on the right.

(photo: Aug 2013)

 

 

 

 

 

Building work in progress on one of the few remaining sections of the line that hadn't been built on.
The level has been lowered a little, showing a bit more of the retaining wall on the right hand side.

(photo: May 2022)

 

 

 

 

 

View from the other end looking back in the Lewisham direction.

 (photo: Jan 2003)

 

 

 

 

 

Similar view as above of the building work in progress. The buildings planned for this site are not of great height but piles have been sunk anyway, perhaps because the in-filling of the railway cutting here is not stable or compact enough to build straight on top of.

 (photo: May 2022)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Just shy of the Greenwich Park station site, this is Burney St and the junction with Royal Hill. The parapet here still remains but has been truncated on its right hand side.
The Greenwich Park station site is to the right and the rear of this viewpoint.

(photo: May 2022)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Reverse view looking in the Greenwich Park station direction.

(photo: May 2022)

 

 

 

 

 

For what it's worth: the site of the Greenwich Park terminus (in more of a prime location than the existing Greenwich station). The station building was at the front end of the platform area - the site is now occupied by an Ibis Hotel.

(photo: Jan 2003)

 

 

 

 

 

The Ibis Hotel on the site of the original station building.

(photo: Apr 2006)

 


 

West London Line